Monday, May 11, 2009

Spencers Friends are Cutting City Money

I've been aroung long enough to know that when the city is doing good the employees get better raises. When the city is doing bad the employees are getting cut back along with everything else. This has been true for police, fire and all the other city employees for decades. That's why I don't get what Spencer is up to. He has buddied up to the people at the state legislature that are working the hardest to cut the citys money. When the state cuts the citys money, that means there is less money to go around. That is not good for police. So, it's another one of those areas that make me think that Spencer is not really looking out for the police officers best interest. He has made a big show of being best pals with Bob Burns, Russell Pearce, and Jack Harper. All those guys are out to axe the city budget. If they had it their way, we wouldn't get any money from the state. That's not good for police. So, who is Spencer working for?

I'll say this right up front, Spencer got us all a good raise last year. In a bad times, he was able to get the city to give police 7%. I didnt' think he could do it and I was glad he got it done. The thing that bothers me that after he go the 7% raise he gave his board a 25% raise. That got to me. I'm not that good with math, but I know that 25 % is a lot more than 7%. So, I wonder why he thought he should get so much more than police officers? Another case where I don't think he is looking out for the guys on the street.

6 comments:

  1. Him, his brother and his brother in law are on the board. Shouldn't surprise anyone that he is keeping the cash in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a political guy. I have never been really involved with the union. Really I never gave a damn except when I wanted to know how much my raise was going to be. But if Spencer is giving out big raises to relatives on the board I have a problem and maybe I need to watch whats going on more closely. Maybe Spencer is working for himself and his family, not the guy on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The issue about the raise for the board has come up in conversations at the precincts. It showed poor judgement on all of their parts.

    I take issue with PLEA, or Mark Spencer,endorsing cnadidates that the members do not support. As the President of PLEA, when Mark suppports a candidate it leads people to believe that they have the support of PLEA. He supported Arpaio and Pearce. Both of those people want police officers to be immigration cops. I didn't sign up for that job, and I don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the arpaio support is a slap in the face to officers at the city. all cities. we all know how arpaio has worked to cut the legs out from underneath not only PPD, but also our brothers in other jurisdictions like Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, etc. arpaio, spencer, pearce, and especially harper have all worked together to cut city budgets that pay police officers and at the same time worked to increase arpaio's budget. spencer and his relatives at PLEA might be law enforement but they are NOT COPS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its more than not wanting to be immigration officers. Its the dirty politics behind it all. Spencer hadd tried to give the impression that real cops want to do this kind of immigration enforcement. In reality it is a reason for Arpaio to try and justify a bigger budget from the state when only 8 percent of Maricopa County is unincorporated. That would call for the MCSO budget to decline, not get bigger. Unless of course they had to start being "immigration cops" like slr said earlier. Then you would need to cozy up to R. Pearce, J. Harper and their cronies. If Spencer wants to help other officers keep their funding thats OK, even if Arpaio has not been too good to other departments, but its when he does this by supporting a plan that robs cities to pay MCSO that it becomes not OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep and PLEA will be raising there dues this year after the raise kicks in by the same amount as the raise. Yeah more money for PLEA do argue about winter hats.

    ReplyDelete